Friends of the Watertown Public Library will host an antique appraisal fundraiser event on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. at the Watertown Public Library in Watertown.
Guest appraiser Mark Moran, a former senior editor of antiques and collectibles books for Krause Publications in Iola, WI, will examine and discuss each item for registered participants. The cost is $15.00 per item. Average appraisal time will be 4 minutes per item.
Moran has bought and sold antiques for more than 30 years, specializing in vintage folk art, Americana, and fine art. He is author or co-author of more than 25 books on antiques and collectibles, including 800-page annual “Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles,” now in its 45th edition. He has been active as an appraiser of antiques and fine art for more than 20 years and a guest expert on PBS’ Antiques Road Show.
Moran is available to make home visits for people with big things or fragile things or a lot of things. House calls are $75.00 and hour and there is no mileage charge if within ten miles of the appraisal event site. To arrange, call 715-281-5060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories of objects for appraisal may include:
- Fine art: including paintings, drawings, prints, and statuary
- Furniture: usually smaller pieces are best
- Ceramics: including figural pottery, vases, dishes, kitchenware, and stoneware
- Glassware: including lighting, marbles, and souvenir items Vintage photographs: including snapshots, tintypes, ambrotypes, and daguerreotypes
- Advertising: including posters, lithographed tin, paper and figural objects
- Folk Art: including carvings, quilts, weathervanes, windmill weights, and “outsider” art
- Assorted toys: including dolls (bisque, composition, and plastic), windups and mechanical banks
- Metalware: including iron, bronze, brass, pot metal, silver, silver plate
- Clocks: including mantel, hanging, and figural
- Costume Jewelry: including broaches, bracelets, and earrings.
- Musical Instruments: including string, wind and reed instruments
- Sports Memorabilia
Excluded items: all weapons, including swords and knives (though folding knives with advertising are accepted); traps (like leg-hold); Nazi memorabilia; coins and paper money; Beanie Babies; fine jewelry, including precious gems. Questions about objects not covered may be submitted in advance to determine if they are appropriate.
Pre-registration and payment is required. Please contact the Watertown Public Library Reference Desk early to reserve a spot at 920-545-2331. Non-participants or spectators are also welcome to sit and watch as Mark discusses the items brought by others. All proceeds will benefit the Watertown Public Library.